Friday, September 14, 2012

The "OMG-I-Spent-Too-Much-This-Month" Mega Haul - THE FINALE

WARNING: Long Post - hey, I told you this was a MEGA haul!

There's gotta be a 12-step program out there for this kind of addiction. *facepalm*

Yes, dear friends. I am laying bare my complete lack of self control.  Hey, I said in the last Mega Haul  post that the finale would be a doozy, so I've broken it down into categories: Tools, Face, Eyes, Lips, Cheeks and Skin. It is a CRAZY amount of stuff to have acquired in such a short time-frame. 

The products range from drug store to high-end and all were chosen based on glowing reviews from other bloggers. Forgive this inventory list - as I test and use these products, I'll be coming up with a Fave Products post and let you know how everything I've bought is performing. For now, onto roll call!

Tools of the Trade
1. Real Techniques Powder Brush  2.  e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush  3. Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush 4.  Real Techniques Expert Face Brush  5. Sigma F40 Large Angle Contour Brush  6. Sephora Face Contour Brush  7. Real Techniques Setting Brush  
8. Bdellium Tools 936 Anti-Bacterial Concealer Brush  9.  Sigma E35 Tapered Blending Brush  10. MAC 217 Blending Brush  11.  MAC 219 Pencil Brush  12. Sephora Professionals Dome Shadow Brush  13.  Real Techniques Shader Brush 14. Sephora Flat Liner Brush  15. Beautyblender Sponge

Some thoughts on brushes:

-Holy heck, what was I DOING all those years using those little foam applicators or mini brushes that came with the kit? For any newbies (like me) that might wonder where to start -  I would say if you were going to get just one good brush that helps heal most application ills - get a blending brush. 

-Real Techniques, yup. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Super affordable, great quality. The Expert Face Brush got a lot of youtube thumbs up from makeup gurus way more experienced than the rest of us mere mortals. I use it to put on foundation and it ROCKS.

-Beautyblender - pricey, but worth it. I dunno what it is about this tool, but many have tried to copy it, but none have come close.  Totally foolproof...if foundation is your "can't-leave-the-house-without-putting-it-on" item and you don't have a Beautyblender, now is the time. Wet the sponge, squeeze out the excess water until just damp, dot on foundation and simply pounce the bright pink sponge all over your face and watch the awesomeness happen.



About Face


1.  Ben Nye The Final Seal  2. MAC Pro-Longwear Concealer (NW 35)  3. Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation (8.0)  4.  Jouer Luminzing Moisture Tint (Bronzed)  5. Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream (No. 27 Honey Beige)  6. Missha  Perfect Cover BB Cream (No. 31 Golden Beige)  7. Bare Minerals Stroke of Light Eye Brighterner  (Luminous 3)  8. Ben Nye Banana Powder  
9. MAC Sculpt and Shape Powder (Warm Light / Definitive)  10. MakeUp Forever Mat Bronze (40)   11. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish (Medium Deep)  12. Face Atelier (various foundation shade samples)


Note on face products:

-Figure out how much coverage you want (or can stand - I generally dislike the feel of foundation on my skin) - from tinted moisturizers, BB creams and full coverage formulas, there is something out there for everyone to help even out one's skintone.

-Get matched. Especially important for newbies. It's like clinging to the idea of one's dress size (I am guilty of this)...even if it's clear that it's no longer a fit, we get rooted in the idea that we are this one particular size or shade, in this case.  For those who tan easily like me - I am almost 2 shades different at the end of the summer than I was at the beginning and needed to adjust my base makeup accordingly because the lighter one just looked like a mask. Not pretty.

-Set with powder. Just a little will do. Also, doesn't have to be expensive - LOVE the Ben Nye Banana Powder. Great for tanned skin (there are other shades for the lighter-complexioned lasses) - it's inexpensive, the jar will last forever and it wears beautifully.




The Eyes Have It



1. Loreal Infallible Eyeshadow (L to R) Golden Emerald, Smoldering Plum and Bottomless Java  2.  Chanel Illusion D'ombre in Illusoire  3. Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner  4. Maybelline 24 Hr. Color Tattoo Eyeshadow (L to R) in Painted Purple, Bold Gold, Tough as Taupe, Bad to the Bronze and Pomegranate Punk  5. Inglot Freedom System Custom 5 Pan (from L to R): 389 matte, 72 amc,  
349 matte,  31 shine, 461 ds

                                    

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil (L to R) - 1. Sparkle Nude  2.  Sparkle Leopard  3. Iced Mocha 3.  Purple Velvet 
 4.  French Fries and 5. Yogurt
                                                                                                     
Lessons Learned About Eyes:
- As an eyeshadow novice, I still am learning about how to layer shades and put it all together into one look.  Crease, brow, lid...all the colors just end up looking muddy in my inexperienced hands. But that doesn't mean one can't play. Most everything I chose looks great as a single color blended across the lid. It's EASY.  For more experienced makeup mavens, I'd love to hear suggestions on how to combine everything.

-For newbies or girls on the go, I highly recommend the NYX jumbo eye pencils. They're creamy, blend out super easily and can make even a novice look like pro.  They are my new go-to product. And  the price can't be beat at $4.49 a pop - there's even a special a BOGO 50% off special going on at Ulta right now. Love!

Pucker Up


1.  Tarte Lipsurgence Matte Lip Tint (Envy)  2. thru 5. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Lovesick, Honey, Smitten and Rendezvous  6.  NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Deep Red  7. NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Honey Nectar  8. thru 10. NYX Soft Matte Lip Creme in Amsterdam, Addis Ababa and Monte Carlo   11. Smashbox Limitless Longwear Lipgloss in Endless

1. thru 6.  Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars in Melange, NSFW, Queen, Strumpet, Vintage and Clear  7. MAC lipstick in Peachstock  8. Too Faced La Creme in In The Buff  9. NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red  10. & 11.  Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Fig Jam and Sugar Plum


Things I Learned About Lip Stuff:

-Exfoliate. No matter what color or formulation of lip product you use, it's all going to look awful on flaky, dry, cracked lips. It's as easy as using your toothbrush to gently buff away the dead skin and then using your fave chapstick or balm (my longtime fave is Jack Black's Intense Lip Therapy in Grapefruit)

-Lip brushes are great for precise and even application, but for a pretty, quick and easy look, I'm loving the balm stain - jumbo pencil type thingys like the Tarte Lipsurgence or Revlon Just Kissable Balm Stains. Just color in your lips and go!

Get Cheeky!! (I know I did face already, but cheeks needed their own category!)

1.  NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Hot Pink  2. NARS powder blush in Orgasm  3. NARS powder blush in Dolce Vita  4. Illamasqua powder blush in Excite  5.  NARS The Multiple in G-Spot


Thoughts on Cheeks:

-Nothing will make you look healthier, younger or more chipper faster than rosy cheeks.  There's just something so enlivening about it. If you feel you're looking sallow, washed out, wan - reach for the blush. 

-There are a variety of formulations - cream, powder, cream-to-powder, gel stains, mousses....no matter what kind you get, don't put it too near your nose, it looks weird or that you've got a cold. If you can see concentrated spots of color, you've put on too much. The key is to blend, blend, blend - outward towards your temples. 


Skin(care) is In

1. Comodynes Sensitive & Dry Skin Make-Up Remover Wipes  2. Bio-Oil  3. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist lightweight spray moisturizer  4. Alpha H Liquid Gold skin refiner  5. Bioderma Crealine H2o Ultra-mild Non-rinse Face and Eyes Cleanser  6. Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover  7.  La Mer Creme De La Mer moisturizing cream  8.  Nuxe Reve Du Miel Lip Balm  9.  L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream


Newly-gleaned insights on skincare:

-This should be a no-brainer. Take your damn makeup off at night. I have pretty good skin and I am hella lazy about taking care of it because I think, "Hey, my skin is pretty good anyway. No worries." I deserve to be smacked. The quality of my skin has improved a hundred-fold since being really disciplined about taking it all off at the end of the day. If you're tired or like me, just plain lazy sometimes, keep a pack of makeup removing wipes on your nightstand. 

-If you wear waterproof mascara (like me), makeup removal does not have to sting and hurt and cause wailing and gnashing of teeth. Cleansing oils are great for this very reason.  If you want to go out and get a dedicated eye makeup remover, look for ones that specifically target waterproof makeup or you'll be scrubbing a little too hard around that delicate eye area.

-Moisturize. And don't forget your lips.


WHEW.  Are you tired yet? I warned you this would be a helluva long post.  Yes, there is a TON of stuff, but I feel like I'm catching up after years of being clueless. Think of it this way - I'm spending my money just so you don't have to - or so that you can get a better sense of what you might want to get and what you feel you can pass on.

If you'd like to see specific reviews or more swatches of anything I've posted so far, just let me know :) Ta for now!




1 comment:

  1. Hey samantha, nice haul! What do you think about the expert face brush from RT compared to Elf's powder brush?

    ReplyDelete